The BEHER ORO Jamon de Bellota is produced from the hind leg of 100% Iberian pigs. These pure-bred pigs spend their early months feeding on natural cereals made in BEHER facilities until they reach a weight between 40kg and 50kg.
They are then allowed to roam free on the grassland, enjoying between 2-4 ha individually. They enjoy an exquisite diet composed of this selection of cereals as well as grasses, tubers, roots and acorns. They will reach up to 100kg at the beginning of October when the Montanera begins, at which time the acorns fall and the pigs are able feed exclusively on acorns until they reach an approximate weight of 180kg. They are then slaughtered and cured for up to 48 months, to produce this ‘Black Seal’ quality ham.
This delicacy has a ruby red hue, with a delicate grain and a high percentage of oleic acid, in addition to being rich in protein, vitamin B1, iron, zinc, magnesium, folic acid and vitamin E. You will be able to recognize an intense and pleasant aroma exclusive to 100% acorn-fed Iberian ham. There is an intense and persistent flavour with a characteristic sweetness of this 100% Iberian acorn-fed ham. Due to a reduced salting time and longer curing period, this allows the creation of a healthier and tastier product.
Best enjoyed by bringing the ham to room temperature
Beher (stylized as BEHER) and also called Bernardo Hernández, is a Spanish ham producer company that has worldwide fame. It is situated in the town of Guijuelo (province of Salamanca, Spain), in the Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) Jamón de Guijuelo. This third generation family company was founded in the 1930s and is now one of the 300 biggest companies in Castile and León.
In 2001 and 2004 it was awarded “Best international company” during the International Fair in Frankfurt, the main international fair of meat products. Among the many products of Beher “Bellota Oro” (Gold Acorn) stands out, in 2007, 2010 and 2013 it was awarded “Best ham in the world”.
International Fair of Frankfurt – IFFA Delicat (Germany), which is the main international meat fair
- 1995: 5 gold medals.
- 2001: 10 gold medals, and Honorific prize “Best foreign company”.
- 2004: 13 gold medals, and Honorific prize “Best foreign company”.
- 2007: Grand Special prize in ham category, 14 gold medals, and Prize of Honour in category of sausage products.
- 2010: Special prize in ham category, 16 gold medals.
- 2013: Special prize in ham category, 22 gold medals.
- 2016: Award of Honour to The Best Company, Special International Award to The Product With The Highest Quality in the Category of Hams, 22 gold medals.
- Food & Drink Expo (Birmingham)
- 2006: Prize for best international product.
- SUFFA (Stuttgart)
- 2006: gold 3 medals.
- Great Taste (Great Britain)
- 2006: bronze medal
- Salón Nacional del Jamón SANJA (National Ham Exhibition), Teruel (Spain)
- 2001: National award of quality of ham.
- I Feria del Jamón de Castilla y León, Segovia (Spain)
- 2013: Prize for best “Jamón de bellota” (acorn’s ham).